What is aN Inspired learning Day?
Inspired Learning Days (formerly 21st Century Learning Conferences) are days when we throw away the traditional schedule at Nipmuc (and across the district) and, with the help of professional partners, organize a conference for our students. The day is designed to connect the learning that takes place everyday in our classroom to the world beyond our schools. Our Inspired Learning Days are centered around student interests and are truly a community effort. Started in 2015, these days provide students an opportunity to dress for success, have choice in the learning for the day, and connect with professionals beyond our school community.
MURSD’s Inspired Learning Days are:
- Co-constructed with students. Each of our Inspired Learning Days begins with school-wide brainstorming events. These brainstorming sessions capture the curiosities, interests, and passions that all of our learners want to explore.
- Aligned to the Portrait of a Learner. We are committed to leading innovation to help our students become global citizens, mindful learners, effective communicators, skillful collaborators, inspired innovators, and solution seekers. During ILDs, students will experience a range of opportunities that align directly with MURSD Portrait of a Learner competencies.
- Driven choice and student agency. Inspired Learning Days ask our students what they want to learn rather than what we want to teach. They help to build the connection between students’ outside-of-school interests and our curriculum. They encourage initiative, iteration, and exploration as students become leaders of their own learning.
- Supported by partnerships. Our parents, professionals, and community leaders are powerful partners in our work to build schools that inspire. Our ILDs come to life by connecting learners with these partners as they share their expertise, connect students to experiences and resources that capture their imagination, and show us what it means when our community is our classroom.
- Fun! Inspired Learning Days are active, hands-on, and focused on learning that is fun.
INSPIRED LEARNING DAYS THROUGH THE YEARS
We believe that each LEARNER is unique, inquisitive, and has the potential to be inspired by a true sense of purpose.
We believe EDUCATORS are facilitators of learning who embrace individual student passions and strengths when creating learning experiences that encourage inquiry, develop skills, and have relevance in today's world.
We believe the COMMUNITY is our classroom, encouraging and supporting authentic, enriching, and rewarding learning opportunities for all.
We believe in creating an authentic, welcoming, and collaborative LEARNING ENVIRONMENT where all members of the community are supported, engaged, and provided learning opportunities that challenge and excite them.
-Nipmuc's Beliefs about Learning